Lake-Sumter Community College

Lake Sumter Community College
Lake Sumter Community College


Indoor Air Quality and Mold

Molds produce tiny spores to reproduce. Mold spores waft through the indoor and outdoor air continually. When mold spores land on a damp spot indoors, they may begin growing and digesting whatever they are growing on in order to survive. There are molds that can grow on wood, paper, carpet, and foods.  When excessive moisture or water accumulates indoors, mold growth will often occur, particularly if the moisture problem remains undiscovered or un-addressed. There is no practical way to eliminate all mold and mold spores in the indoor environment; the way to control indoor mold growth is to control moisture.

The key to mold control is moisture control. It is important to dry water damaged areas and items within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth. If mold is a problem in your home, clean up the mold and get rid of the excess water or moisture. Fix leaky plumbing or other sources of water. Wash mold off hard surfaces with detergent and water, and dry completely. Absorbent materials (such as ceiling tiles & carpet) that become moldy may have to be replaced.

We do our best to control the possibility of poor indoor air quality and mold by:

  • Venting showers and other moisture-generating sources to the outside. 
  • Controlling humidity levels and dampness with air conditioners and de-humidifiers.
  • The College expended over $40,000 in the last two years alone for this purpose
  • Provide adequate ventilation to maintain indoor humidity levels to between 50-60%.   
  • Use exhaust fans whenever cooking, dishwashing, and cleaning in food service areas.
  • Scheduled inspections of selected building areas for signs of mold, moisture, leaks, or spills:
  • Inspect water stains or discoloration on the ceiling, walls, floors, and window sills.  
  • Clean bathrooms of standing water, water stains, or mold.  
  • Reduce to a minimum known standing water in air conditioning or refrigerator drip pans. 
  • Respond promptly when you see signs of moisture and/or mold, or when leaks or spills occur:
  • Clean and dry any damp or wet building materials and furnishings within 24-48 hours of occurrence to prevent mold growth.  
  • Fix the source of the water problem or leak to prevent mold growth and clean mold off hard surfaces with water and detergent, and dry completely. 
  • Check the mechanical room and roof for unsanitary conditions, leaks, or spills.
  • Prevent/reduce moisture condensation:
  • In areas where there is a perpetual moisture problem, do not install carpeting (i.e., by drinking fountains, by classroom sinks, or on concrete floors with leaks or frequent condensation).